Vlasov Vasily Andrianovich
1905, St Petersburg – 1979, Leningrad
Graphic artist, draughtsman, lithographer, illustrator. Father of the artist Boris Vlasov. Received his first artistic education from Ilya Repin. Studied at Alexander Savinov’s private studio; under Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin and Alexander Savinov at VKhUTEIN (1925–1927); under Leonid Trauberg and Grigory Kozintsev in the Cinema Department of the Higher State Courses of Art History, State Institute of Art History (1927–1928). As an illustrator entered the close circle of the followers of Vladimir Lebedev. Subjected to repression and exiled (1932–1934). Artist at the Lenfilm studio (art director of the “Vyborg Side” film, 1938), contributed to Detgiz and Lenizdat publishing houses. Created wartime posters (1941), member of the editorial body of the Leningrad Headquarters of the Partisan Movement at the Volkhov Front (1942–1944). Painted portraits, posters and other propaganda material – Anti-Fascist Playing Cards. Taught at the Leningrad Institute of Engineers of Communal Construction (1934–1940); art studio of the House of Architects (1934–1940); Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1944–1946); studio at the Leningrad Cinema House (1946–1952). Illustrator, created a series of nude drawings, drawings and lithographs on the subjects of sport and circus (1960s–1970s). Wrote memoirs (Manuscript Department of the State Russian Museum). Solo exhibition dated to the centenary of the artist was held at the exhibition hall of the St Petersburg Branch of the Union of Artists.