Kuperwasser Tatyana Isidorovna
1903, St Petersburg – 1972, Leningrad
Painter, graphic artist. Took drawing lessons from Varvara Bubnova (1913–1914). Studied under Osip Braz and Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin at the State Free Art Studios/VKhUTEIN (1920–1925); diploma work Landscape. Contributed to exhibitions (from 1925). Member and exhibitor of the Circle of Artists (1927–1932). Member of the Union of Artists (1946; previously she was excluded from candidate members). In the 1930s gradually retreated from exhibition activities sacrificing her artistic interests in favour of her family: she started to make a living by executing commissions of practical nature, which gave her husband (from 1923), painter Alexander Rusakov, a possibility to exercise his talents.
Worked as an artist at the enterprises of the Leningrad textile industry (from the mid-1920s); mainly engaged in design (from the late 1930s; Museum of the Arctic, Museum of the Ethnography of the Peoples of the USSR; Museum of the History of Leningrad, Leningrad pavilion at the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition) and applied graphic art (from the second half of the 1920s: fashion, textile design; after the war: addresses, labels, packaging and trademarks). Worked at the Leningrad branch of the Art Fund of the USSR (1945). Painted mainly landscapes en plein air in watercolor (the 1940s–1960s); during the last years of her life created predominantly still lifes. After the Circle of Artists exhibition in the Russian Museum (2007) the attention to Kuperwasser’s oeuvre has increased.