Malagis Vladimir Ilyich (Wulf Elja Getzelevich)
1902, Griva, Courland Province – 1974, Leningrad
Painter, graphic artist, monumentalist, author of genre scenes, portraits, landscapes, still lifes. Studied under Vladimir Plotnikov and Vasily Navozov at the School of Drawing, Society for the Encouragement of Arts in Petrograd (1917); under Arkady Rylov, Alexander Savinov, Kuzma Petrov- Vodkin, Grigory Bobrovsky and Vasily Savinsky at the State Free Art Studios/VKhUTEMAS in Petrograd (1918–1919, 1921–1924) and under Evgeny Lanceray at the courses for Raising Artists’ Qualifications, Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1932–1933). Diploma work Fishermen on the Dnieper (not survived). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1924). Member and exhibitor of the Circle of Artists (1926–1929), October (from 1930).
Chairman of the Municipal Committee of Fine Arts, Union of Art Workers (1931–1933). Member of the Union of Artists (1932). After graduating from VKhUTEIN (1924), collaborated with the Breakers Publishing House, designing headpieces, logos, and marks. Taught at the studio of the Moscow-Narva District, Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture (1945–1948). In the post-war decades painted portraits, landscapes and actively participated in exhibitions. Honoured Artist of the RSFSR (1969). Held solo exhibitions in Leningrad (1977) and Moscow (1979).