Lomakina Maria Vladimirovna
1896, Kizil-Tash, Yalta District – 1964, Zagorsk
Painter, graphic artist, teacher, craftswoman, author of toys. Graduated from the Drawing School in Kishinev (1913); Faculty of History and Philosophy, Higher Women’s (Bestuzhev) Courses (1913–1917) and Konstantin Juon’s studio (1916– 1917). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1919). Lived in Crimea (1917–1923), headed the Alexander Pushkin Museum in Gurzuf, worked at the State Art Studios. The Crimean SORABIS sent her to Petrograd (1923). Studied monumental painting under Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin in the Faculty of Painting, VKhUTEMAS (1923–1927); diploma work project of the mural painting Maternity and Child Protection and thesis The Artistic Styles of Frescoes in the Church of the Saviour on Nereditsa in Novgorod, accompanied by copies of frescoes (recommended for publication). Later, her copies helped to reconstruct the church, which was destroyed during the Great Patriotic War.
Taught drawing at School No. 3 in Leningrad (1928– 1929), School of Handicrafts in Bogorodsk and courses for raising carvers’ qualifications, Bogorodsk Artel (1929–1931). From 1932 lived in Zagorsk (now Sergiev Posad). Worked at the All-Union Scientific and Experimental Institute of Toys; designed toys (1933–1936). Member and exhibitor of the Municipal Committee of Artists (from 1938); painting section, Moscow Branch of the Union of Artists; Moscow Fellowship of Artists (from 1942). Made copies of the Tretyakov Gallery’s paintings on commissions for the Committee of Arts, State Historical Museum and the Art Fund (1938–1955). Copied paintings in St Sofia Cathedral in Kiev for the State Historical Museum (1953–1954). Taught drawing and theory of drawing in the Abramtsevo School of Art and Industry (1959–1962). Wife of the sculptor Alexander Petrov (1933). Held a solo exhibition in 2009 (Tretyakov Gallery, catalogue).