Britanishsky Lev Romanovich
(Ruvimovich, Ruvelevich) 1897, Krons tadt – 1971, Leningrad
Painter, graphic artist. Studied at the studios of Mikhail Bernstein (1910s) and Savely Seidenberg (1915); took private lessons from Pavel Chis – tyakov (1912–1915); studied under Pavel Chis – tyakov and Ivan Bilibin at the Baron Stieglitz Central School of Technical Drawing (1915–1922); under Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin at the State Free Art Studios/VKhUTEMAS in Petrograd (1918–1923); awarded the title of artist; attended refresher courses of All-Russian Academy of Arts (1934– 1935). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1924). Contributed to the exhibitions of Young Artists (1924); Artists of the RSFSR Over 15 Years (1932, Leningrad; 1933, Moscow); Woman in Socialist Construction (1934). Member and exhibitor of Young Art (1917), Circle of Artists (from 1926), October (1928–1930); Leningrad Association of Proletarian Artists (1930–1931). Member of the Union of Artists (from 1932). Studied porcelain painting under Sergei Chekhonin (1920s).
Worked at the State Porcelain Factory; tour guide at the State Russian Museum (1926–1928); adviser in the sphere of folk and amateur art at the Le nin – grad Region Management of the Arts, headed art classes in the Leningrad Region (1936–1941). At the beginning of the Great Patriotic War took part in saving museum treasures from the State Hermitage (1941); in March 1942 moved to Sverd – lovsk where he taught at the Ural Art School (1943–1944), took part in decoration railway terminals and houses of culture in Nizhny Tagil. After the war took up industrial drawing and design. Illustrated books for the military publishing house (Voenizdat). Merited Artist of the RSFSR (1967). Awarded a gold medal of the Soviet Culture Fund at the International Exhibition in Moscow (1970).