Aladzhalova Elena Sergeevna
1904, Bauska, Kurland Province – 1984, Leningrad
Painter. Took first drawing lessons from her father Sergei Aladzhalov (1879–1921). Studied under Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin in the Painting Department, VKhUTEMAS/VKhUTEIN (1922–1927); obtained her diploma in monumental painting for May Day Celebrations (1927, Scientific and Research Museum of the Russian Academy of Arts). When studying became an orphan and worked as a part-time field labourer, headed a library. Member and exhibitor of the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia (from the late 1920s). Artist at the Soyuzkino-Lenfilm studio (1930s); as a member of the expedition of film workers traveled across Kostroma and Ryazan Provinces, accompanied her husband R. B. Kansky, orientalist and art historian, in his trip across Uzbekistan. Lived in Leningrad during the siege (1941–1944). After the Great Patriotic War (1941–1945) took part in the restoration of palace and park ensembles of Leningrad and its environs, member of the brigade of painters and restorers headed by Nikolai Pertsev (1948–1949). Worked for the Leningrad Branch of the Art Fund (late 1940s – 1950s). Lived in Zatulenie, Luga District, Leningrad Region (after 1959). Member of the Leningrad Branch of the Union of Artists (from 1950, the section of painting), in the late 1970s, held there her first retrospective solo exhibition.