Ab Pavel Efimovich
1902, Oryol – 1974, Leningrad
Painter, monumentalist. 1902, Oryol – 1974, Leningrad Studied under Grigory Redkin at the school of art in Oryol (1921–1923); under Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, Alexander Savinov and Vasily Savinsky in the Monumental Painting Department, VKhUTEMAS/VKhUTEIN (1923–1929); diploma work Textiles panel (1929, State Russian Museum) for the concert hall of the Moscow-Narva Palace of Culture; post-graduate courses at the Institute of Proletarian Fine Art / Ilya Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1931–1933). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1929). Member of the Union of Youth of the Association of Artists of Revolution (1929), Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia, Leningrad Association of Proletarian Artists (1930–1932), City Committee of Artists (1933–1941).
Member of the Union of Artists (from 1932). Contributed to making Borodino and Perekop dioramas for the Military-Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineer and Signal Corps (1936); decorated pavilions at the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition (1939); made panels for the Museum of the History of Leningrad (1947). Stage designer assistant at the Theatre of Miniatures, Volobuev Operetta Theatre (the early 1920s), Red Army studio (from 1920) reorganized later into Industrial Art workshops of the Oryol Sixth Infantry Division (1922–1923); decorated the city on holidays (1929–1941). Painted portraits, genre and history paintings in the style of Socialist Realism (Gathering of Shock Workers of the Vyborg District, 1932; Listening to the Radio Near the Yurt, 1936; Musicians, 1938 – whereabouts of the three works unknown).
Took part in WWII, after demobilization worked for the Association of Leningrad Artists, took part in creative and exhibiting activities of the Leningrad Branch of the Union of Artists working on the subjects similar to Pirogov at the Military Medicine Museum, 1948; Lenin’s Speech at the Admiralty Plant, 1949; Comrades, 1960;Motherland Guards, 1961 – whereabouts of all of them unknown. Taught at the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia studio (1929–1930); taught at VKhUTEIN courses (1929–1930).